It’s the month for Easter baking around here and my sweet tooth has not been disappointed. So today I want to share another great, super simple Easter recipe we made recently. These Easter Cheerios Bird Nests are really chewy and sticky and oh so good. I call them Chewy Cheerios treats. You can also call them Marshmallow Easter Bird’s Nests if you want.
Again these are simple to make so the kids can easily get involved baking them and sharing with friends. All you need is a few bulk food store ingredients and you can pull this together in 15 minutes. The only challenging part really is making sure the marshmallow fluff coats the dry ingredients and doesn’t harden too fast. I supervise my kids when doing that part.
Any excuse to use my Fiesta bowls makes me happy! Start with marshmallows (they needn’t be the rainbow miniatures shown here.) I bought the rainbow ones and then used them in a few recipes. But when you melt these you lose the colour anyways so go ahead and get the plain ones. Melt them just as you would if you were making marshmallow and rice cereal treats. Cheerios are a staple here and have been ever since the kids were old enough to start eating solids. My husband eats this cereal almost every day so I always have them on hand and sometimes I feel like building something new with Cheerios.
I had planned to leave these just with the jelly bean toppers as decoration but then my one daughter saw a chance to add sprinkles to the food and voila. Sprinkles sometimes make everything better.
[tweetthis]What are you baking this spring? These are simple to make and tasty too. [/tweetthis]
I hope you and your family enjoy these and I hope you have a great Easter and a wonderful spring season too!
Chewy Marshmallow Spring Bird's Nest Cheerios Treats
- 1 bag of Marshmallows
- 1 TBSP of margarine or butter
- 1 small bag of jelly beans you need about 40 jelly beans plus a few to eat as you make these
- 1 1/4 cup of Cheerios
- 1 handful of smarties
- 1 crushed up handful of pretzel sticks
- Melt the margarine in a pot on the stove on low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir constantly also on low.
- When marshmallows are a sticky tacky substance then it's time to remove from the heat
- Add Cheerios.
- Stir to coat.
- Add crushed pretzel sticks
- Stir to coat.
- Add the smarties and stir a couple more times but not so much that the colours vanish.
- Drop them by the spoonful onto a cookie sheet.
- Press into a nest shape with a tablespoon.
- After they cool slightly then add three jelly beans to the top of each as decoration.
- Once all the individual nests are on a plate for serving then add sprinkles and enjoy!