How to Honour the Other Child in a Special Needs Family.
- Manicures/ pedicures. Quiet time with Mom is a great option. I used to sneak my daughter out of school early occasionally just to do this.
- Special notes in her lunch.
- Take a walk alone. In the winter maybe the walk is inside a mall, or a trip to Build-A-Bear, or sharing a (lemonade for the younger ones) at a coffee shop. The key is indicating to her it’s our special time.
- Keep her out of school one afternoon. Call it a mental health day and go window shopping.
- Wake her up an hour after she has fallen asleep and take her out into the yard to sit and watch the stars on a beautiful summer night.
- Take her and her alone to the movies. Just for two.
- Kidnap lunch. Show up unexpectedly at your child’s school and sneak them off for lunch just with you.
Parenting special needs children is challenging and rewarding too. You have to work harder at everything some days. Sometimes that means working harder at being alone with your other son or daughter.