We always avoided family cruises, at least up until this past month when we took our first ever family cruise and we were hooked immediately. Family cruises can be budget friendly and worth the time and effort. Here are my top ten reasons why we will take family cruises again.
Top Ten Reasons to Take Family Cruises.
1. The service is exceptional. Incomparable. The closest I can compare there experience to is staying at a Disney resort. That’s how well taken care of you are. The staff ratio to tourist ratio was something like 1 to 3. It was outrageous how much I loved having my room cleaned twice daily and towel animals and turn down service and chocolates on my pillow. LOVED it. Dining service was the same. Top notch.
2. There was always something to do. It was not laying on a cruise ship watching the boat move. There were hourly events scheduled for kids in the kid’s clubs. There was after hours care which my kids advocated to do and loved. Late night movies with brand new friends away from parents? Yes please.
3. The food. So good and plentiful. Every night, the service at the restaurant was outstanding also. We ate more beef and seafood than I have had in the past decade. Plus I trusted everything I ate on the ship. I felt safe and comfortable eating most things. (Once I ate lobster at an all inclusive resort in the Dominican – years ago. After that special food experience in which I vomited profusely for half a day at least, I got very cautious about eating at resorts.) But everything was good and fresh and served beautifully here.
4. It was magical going to bed and waking up one morning in Mahogany Bay, Roatan. I literally never knew the ship had stopped until I looked out the window and spied a brand new paradise waiting to be explored.
5. Bad wifi. Why does that matter? Because I needed to disconnect and I didn’t need easy access enabling me to renege on my promise to stop tweeting for a week.
6. The excursions were fantastic. We did two great excursions in which we snorkelled and discovered stingrays, sea urchins and nurse sharks. They were world class and really great educational experiences for our family. The kids loved seeing baby turtles in a turtle hatchery in Grand Cayman. It was their best thing of the trip.
7. The price was decent and affordable. The flights are the part that cost the most money, so the way around that is to drive to the port of embarkation or plan far enough ahead that you can easily budget them in.
8. Cleanliness: everything was super clean and well looked after. See point one. It was great service.
9. Entertainment: There were shows every night. You could easily see something new – a comedian, a dancing show, a game show etc.. each night and there was a casino on board too. Loved that.
10. Everything you need is on that ship. It’s amazing. Food, drinks, shops, a doctor should you require one, a babysitter (kid’s club). It’s a great way to travel. We will book another one soon.