5 Tips to Get Better Sleep at Night
Are you having a hard time falling asleep at night? Do you toss and turn and still barely get any shut eye? Luckily, there are a number of things you can do to help improve this problem. Better sleep is pretty simple with a few changes of habit.
Here are 5 tips to get better sleep at night:
- Turn off electronics an hour before bedtime. Using your TV, computer, e-reader, or cell phone may be making it more difficult for you to fall asleep. Shutting down all of your electronics an hour before bedtime may help you fall asleep faster. Dimming the lights an hour before bed may also help your body get into sleep mode better. If you sleep during the day because you work at night, be sure to keep the blinds down or close the curtains.
- Stop taking naps. It may be hard to stop napping, especially when you’re having a hard time sleeping at night. It’s possible, however, that taking a daily nap could be hurting your sleep at night. Try to fight through your tiredness until bedtime. If you absolutely must take a nap, try to keep it to 20 minutes or less.
- Try to stick to a routine. Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day can help you sleep better. If you go to bed at 9 p.m. one night and 2 a.m. the next night, your body will have a harder adjusting to your sleep patterns.
- Avoid caffeine consumption later in the day. Although drinking coffee later in the day may seem like a great way to keep yourself awake, it could actually be affecting your sleep at night. Keep in mind that this isn’t just limited to coffee, either. Eating chocolate or drinking iced tea too close to bedtime may also be affecting your sleep.
- Eat light before bedtime. It’s a good rule of thumb to quit snacking to improve your sleep routine. That being said, if you find the need to snack, be sure to keep it light. Greasy and fried foods tend to be too heavy. Instead, consider opting for some crackers or some fresh vegetables. Be sure to stay away from anything too spicy or acidic, which may cause acid reflux and keep you awake.
[tweetthis]Eat light before dinner and get better sleep at night. [/tweetthis]
Five Tips to Get Better Sleep at Night
These are just 5 simple tips to help you get better sleep at night! Keep in mind that everyone is different. The key is to find what works best for you and stick with it!
I do all of these things and I’m still starved for a good night’s sleep! Really, I blame my cat. If I let him into the bedroom at night, he wakes me up. If I lock him out of the bedroom at night, he sings outside my door all night. I just cannot win. I went on a cruise a few months back and was looking forward to a good night’s sleep, only to end up in a cabin near the elevator. I just can’t win!
Quality sleep is so important so thanks for the tips. I do most of these, but I could always cut back on the caffeine. I think I’ll substitute tea for what I’m currently drinking. It should help cal me down.
These are great tips for getting a better nights sleep. Sleep is so very important. I know for myself, I found that sticking to a routine was helpful. While it seems simple, it made a huge difference for me! I can’t wait to share these tips with my husband!
I struggle with a few of these…namely electronics and caffeine! Your tips are great, though. Will have to put them into practice…especially as we head into the busy holiday season! A good night’s sleep will be that much more important.
Kristy @ Mommy Hates Cooking
There are some nights where I really struggle with falling asleep and others where I’m out as soon as my head hits the pillow. I love your suggestions! One thing I know I struggle with is turning off the electronics.
These are such great tips for getting some better quality sleep as well as actually getting to sleep. It can be really hard to unwind after a long day sometimes, These tips help!
Great tips! Caffeine honestly doesn’t affect my sleeping. I can drink a coffee and go to bed although I know that it actually does affect my sleep according to studies. Having a decent bed helps tremendously as well 😉
Bites for Foodies
What always works for me is a good evening workout! It knocks me out! Also, I spray my pillow with lavender spray which relaxes me, and earplugs are the final trick!
I must be such a freak of nature because I do the total opposite of everything you listed and sleep like a baby. I know it is just a fluke because you are so right. Definitely turning off the electronics helps your brain to calm down and makes it easier to unwind for falling asleep. I should heed these more often for sure. 😉 Thanks for the tips.
The top 1 is the main reason why I had a hard time sleeping. It takes time for me to get used to limit the my time to use my ipad as i love watching shows at night. But it really helps following all your tips and planning to do it asap.
Great Tips!! I often have trouble sleeping through the night and I had to learn to cut of my caffein intake earlier in the day. It has mad such a difference!!