Hummingbird facts are remarkable when you begin reading them. Hummingbirds may be small, but they’re mighty. These little creatures are nature’s Energizer Bunnies. Read on for some interesting hummingbird facts that you probably didn’t know.
Hummingbird Facts That Astound
Hummingbirds are amazing creatures. These tiniest of birds have amazing strength when you think about it. What other winged creature can flap its wings so fast? What other winged creature can move so fast in relation to its size? These humming bird facts are nothing less than amazing.
One of the most amazing hummingbird facts is the way that they fly. Did you know that a hummingbird can flap its wings up to 80 times per second? In addition to that, they can fly from side to side, up and down, backwards, and even upside down. They can also hover.
[tweetthis]One of the most amazing hummingbird facts is the way that they fly.[/tweetthis]
We all know that hummingbirds eat flower nectar, but they also eat tree sap, insects, and pollen. Their ultra high metabolism means that they have to eat a huge amount of food.
Hummingbirds are only found in the Western Hemisphere. Their range is from southeastern Alaska to southern Chile. There are over 300 species. 12 of them spent the summer in North America and then migrate to tropical climates in the winter.
[tweetthis]DYK there are over 300 species of hummingbirds. [/tweetthis]
Other Interesting Hummingbird Facts
- Hummingbirds are the smallest birds in the world.
- A hummingbird has the largest proportional brain in the bird kingdom. Their brains make up 4.2% of their body weight.
- Hummingbirds are super smart. They remember every flower they’ve visited and how long it takes for those flowers to refill.
- They can hear better than humans.
- They can see ultraviolet light.
- They have almost no sense of smell.
- A hummingbird heart beats up to 1,260 times per minute.
- A hummingbird’s metabolism is approximately 100 times that of an elephant.
- Hummingbirds have feet so weak that they can barely walk.
- Most hummingbirds die in the first year of life, although they can live for over 10 years.
- Some hummingbirds migrate over 2,000 miles twice a year.
- Hummingbirds must eat an average of 7 time an hour for 30 to 60 seconds.
- They eat anywhere from 50% to 800% of their body weight.
- Hummingbirds go into a hibernation-like state when they sleep.
- Hummingbirds chirp, they don’t sing.
Hummingbirds are one of my favorite species of birds, and these hummingbird facts should illustrate why. These little birds are pure power packed into a teeny, tiny little package. They’re also cute as a button, and almost as tiny! I hope you enjoyed reading this hummingbird facts as much as I enjoyed bringing them to you!