So you are the happy hostess again this year for Christmas! You’ve got the turkey and the trimmings and the big dinner meal all mapped out. You’ve got dessert ingredients ready to go and lunches are in the bag because everyone will want turkey sandwiches after the big day itself. But what about breakfast? And the breaks in between, like the one you want to take when you get home from Boxing Day shopping. What’s a busy host or hostess to do? Well, I have an idea you can prep right now and have ready to go – Mini Coffee Cakes made with a hint of Gay Lea sour cream makes a perfect breakfast you can serve with the morning Java or Tea.
Nothing says break, or maybe even breakfast like coffee cake. Banana bread comes close I suppose but that’s so 2014 already. Enough with the banana bread, bring on Mini Coffee Cakes. We often host family here over the holidays and this year is no exception. I am sure we will have some happy visitors and we look forward to that time with family members. It is precious and centred around meals shared together, presents opened and hugs freely exchanged. Add on the pictures, maybe a Christmas movie or two, and a stroll after dinner to burn off that massive scrumptious meal, and the holidays are close to perfect.
I confess I struggle with breakfast the day after Christmas. Occasionally I resort to bacon and eggs and toast with coffee. There may be time for that this year too. Then there’s the kids. When there are extra people in the house, and extra little folk it’s good to have a game plan for meals. My niece and nephews are pretty good about eating a variety of foods and many times we just let them have their pick of cereals, with a little milk and some fruit or yogurt. But for the grownups this year I have my Mini Coffee Cakes on hand as a special treat. By the way, these are made with Gay Lea Gold Premium sour cream and Gay Lea butter too.
Breakfast Mini Coffee Cakes #GayleaMom #Giveaways
- 1 cup Gay Lea Sour Cream
- 1/ 2 cup unsalted Gay Lea Butter
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder and one teaspoon salt.
- Use a regular size muffin tin. Spray with no stick spray.
- Heat oven to 325.
- Combine butter and sugar and blend in the blender. Add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream and continue blending. (I have a hand blender so this took a long time. I blended the ingredients on high for a good five minutes.) If you have a good stand mixer this will take less time.
- In a separate bowl add flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda and stir the flour mixture then fold it into the wet ingredients until it's well blended.
- Spoon into each slot of the muffin tin but only until half full.
- Mix melted butter, another half cup of sugar and cinnamon together to form a drizzle.
- Add that to each mini cake in progress. Hold some back to end.
- Scoop the rest of the coffee cake into each muffin slot.
- Add to the top of each cake the remaining sugary drizzle.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes maximum. I kept close eye on mine because every oven is different.If you opt for a different sized container you will need to adjust baking time.
- Enjoy! This makes 12 mini cakes. These would be fantastic in a tiny loaf pan too.
Some facts you might not know about Gay Lea sour cream:
- Gay Lea’s Gold Premium Sour Cream is Gay Lea’s thickest, richest sour cream made with 3 simple ingredients.
- – Gay Lea’s Gold Premium Sour Cream is decadent and delicious, making it perfect for dips, dressings, and baking!o Nut-free and certified Kosher o Available only in 425ml size
o Available in Ontario only
Don’t forget to follow Gay Lea on Twitter.
This month I have two giveaways to tell you about. The first is a giant giveaway courtesy of Gay Lea and I am so incredibly jealous of you all for being able to enter this!! Good luck! I totally need one of these. KitchenAID Stand Mixer!! What!!?? Worth $399. Good Luck! This one is going on across several blogs. Enter on any one of our blogs. Don;t forget to leave me a comment and also stick around while I tell you about the second giveaway!! (A year’s worth of Gay Lea products for your family) So your 2015 could be a Gay Lea year!! You may enter across all of the blogs for this one year worth of Gay Lea products, but you may only win on one of the blogs. Everyone deserves a chance to win!
You must be a resident of Canada to win.
You may only win from one blog. You may not win multiple prizes across the blog ambassador’s blogs. Unfortunately residents of Quebec are not eligible to win.
Winners should expect their prizes in 4 to 6 weeks.
After you enter that one for a chance at a KitchenAid stand mixer don’t forget this one!
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Mom ambassador program with Mom Central Canada and I received special perks as a result of my affiliation. The opinions on this blog are my own.