Soft Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
These are inspired. I wanted to make sugar cookies one day this past week and I was on a baking kick. And my favourite cookies ever are the soft ones that you buy at the grocery store, but I wondered if I could make something similar and add pumpkin. I was also on a pumpkin kick last week because who doesn’t love pumpkin flavour? There’s something so wonderfully fresh and comforting about pumpkin spice foods and baked goods. So I decided to try to create some awesome pumpkin sugar cookies and let me tell you these turned out so good!!
I started with a basic sugar cookie recipe and then added one third of a can of pumpkin. I was hopeful they would remain soft cookies, but wasn’t sure they would comply because I was kind of winging it with this one. They are soft and perfect and the cream cheese icing was the proverbial icing on the cake.
Pumpkin Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Icing
- Three cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- One teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 can of pumpkin puree
- one cup of butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- Icing glaze
- 1 cup of Icing sugar
- 1 small package of cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon of water add a toy bit more if you want the icing thin
- Mix butter and flour together with a beater. Add the baking soda, baking powder and salt. Keep beating. Add the sugar and add the eggs. Beat until there are no lumps while adding the 1/3 can of pumpkin puree.
- Drop from a spoon onto a cooking sheet. If you want you can line the cookie sheet with wax paper to keep them from sticking. They will not be extremely hard or formed. Pumpkin makes them softer. Cook at 375 for 6 to 8 minutes. This should make 2 to 3 dozen depending on size of your cookies. The secret to making sure they are soft is to watch them closely and pull from the oven the minute you think they are cooked enough, then be sure to also package in an airtight container later when they are done and iced and ready to eat.
- When they have cooled you can make the icing glaze.
- Make sure to start with soft cream cheese. If it's not soft enough then put it into the microwave and soften a bit longer. Stir in the icing sugar and add the spoon full of water. Blend by hand, or for faster results use your hand blender.
- Top each cookie with a tablespoon full of this glaze (it tastes like cinnabon)
The trick to these scrumptious pumpkin sugar cookies with glaze is be sure to check the oven frequently. You really can’t let them get too brown or the recipe doesn’t produce a soft sugar cookie. I have never managed to get cookies the right amount of soft to call them soft cookies. These are just right!! But don’t wander off and forget them or you will have hard pumpkin sugar cookies.
Robin (Masshole Mommy)
I love this recipe. I am a huge fan of anything pumpkin flavored! YUM!
Carmen Perez (Listen2 Mama)
These look amazing, a nd I love the cream cheese icing!
Life As A Convert
These look delicious. The recipe reminds me of the one I use.
I love pumpkin. I love sugar cookies. Combine the two, and I bet these taste like heaven!
Oh yum what some delicious sounding cookies, I’ve got a cup of tea, I just need one of these to with it. x
Those look SO good! I love pumpkin everything during the fall and winter.
These look mighty yummy! I haven’t tried any pumpkin sweets yet and I really think I want to try with a cookie. I may have to try these:)
What a nice combination! I think I have some pumpkin I need to use.
These are the cutest sugar cookies. I’m a huge fan of pumpkin and that cream cheese topping sounds perfect.
Mama to 5 BLessings
The icing melting off the cookies is where you got me! This recipe looks amazing!
I went to a cookie exchange Monday and someone made these. So good!
Oh man, those look and sound so good to me. I love pumpkin flavored anything!
I love pumpkin, first recipe I have seen for pumpkin sugar cookies! My husband would love these!
Chrystal @ YUM eating
You said pumpkin. Now I must try these. Pinned to my all pumpkin board! #nomnom
I can tell by the picture how great these tasted when they came out of the oven. I love pumpkin anything so these are on my list to make.
I love it all pumpkin. So happy you give me the joy of these cookies!
Aisha Kristine Chong
Look at those, they look so drooling to me, yum yum! haha! They tastes super yummy I bet!
This cookies looks yummy and delicious. My kids love anything flavored with pumpkin. Will have to try for this holiday season. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
I have never had a pumpkin sugar cookie! This would be awesome recipe for next year!
I love anything pumpkin, but these really sound good! I think I may have found my new favorite go-to cookie! Thank you!!!!
Oh that frosting looks perfect! And I love pumpkin!
I love everything pumpkin! these cookies looks so good. I will have to try these out soon.