- The Colombian Population – 47.5 million.
- Unemployment is at 8 %.
- Underemployment is higher at around 50 %.
- Young people find it extremely hard to gain a job.
- Child Labour is 12.85 % of the workforce.
- Colombia has an extremely high rate of displaced persons. Many estimates are as high as 4 million displaced.
- 14.8 million live in poverty in Colombia.
The women in this country are a force for change and a unique movement that is both inspirational and remarkable. Colombian women, in general, have often overcome great obstacles, hardship and heartbreak. But they are strong, resilient, beautiful and hard working. They are volunteers and Moms and leaders in their communities like Morales Duque. They are absorbing all of the knowledge that World Vision Canada has given them and turning around to share it with the rest of the community. They are building strength, generating new programs and businesses.
You can also follow World Vision on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/worldvisioncan/
and on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WorldVisionCan