Five Favourite Holiday Traditions a la Schuck Casa
Like my attempts at Spanish? Well so Twitter Moms issued a challenge and contest this morning and I thought what the heck I am up for it today as I am really procrastinating doing any actual work I am supposed to do. (For your chance to win a $100 Amex gift certificate visit http://www.twittermoms.com/ )So here without much fanfare at all are our five favourite things to do at Christmas.
1. Gingerbread House: Every year my girls love to build and sneak bits off the top of our gingerbread house. It is fun with a capital F and it is our tradition.
2. Get active: We love to sled or toboggan after the holidays on a really excellent hill in London called Doidge Park. Seriously excellent liftoff, but this year I will make my kids wear helmets for sure. We had one broken arm already this year. No more ortho clinic for me.
3. Skate: No year is complete without taking advantage of the annual Tim Horton’s free skates. Tim Horton’s sponsors several times and days over holidays where families can skate at local rinks free of charge. They do the same in summer at swimming pools. At New Year’s we head to Victoria Park in London for the early skate and family New Year’s celebration. We’ve done this probably four out of five New Year’s Eves now.
4. A fun Christmas snowball fight or other backyard activity while turkey cooks. Seriously we have very active kids who need to burn off a lot of steam so we head outdoors as fast as we can. Sometimes we climb the snowy climber out back and fly down the slide into a huge mountain of snow. One year I slid so far I almost crashed into the fence and did some damage to my shoulder. Good times!
5. Letters to Santa, cookies and ornaments for the kids. (See cookies above. Love these Lofthouse ones. Oh sometimes we bake too, relax!) We love to build letters to Sanat each year and then take them to the parade and wait for the excellent letter back from the jolly old elf. Also of course we leave cookies and milk out for him. My favourite thing though is building up my daughter’s unique ornament collection. They each have a special Rubbermaid container that sits in their rooms and we give them a new special and unique keepsake each year. When they leave home they will have enough ornaments to decorate their first tree.
Naomi de la Torre
Sounds like a lot of winter fun at your house! I’m visiting you from MBC. Will definitely be back to see you again soon. Please come by and see me sometime too at:
Have a great week!
Puget Sound Prudence
Nice blog. Visiting from the other side of the pond. Am from MBC and following you now. Check me out when you have time! http://pugetsoundprudence.blogspot.com/
Coupon Clippin' Mommy
I love the holidays with kids! I’m following from MBC. I hope you will check out my blog when you get a chance.