Until recently I assumed Puerto Vallarta was simply a cruise ship stop. I was so wrong. Puerto Vallarta Mexico is a destination with a rich culture, amazing food and a host of activities for travellers of all sorts.
This is another post in my Puerto Vallarta family travel series. This month I visited Puerto Vallarta for the first time ever. I have been to Mexico a few times now. We travelled to Cancun as a family and we toured Chichen Itza a few years ago. I find Mexico to be extremely affordable and enjoyable for family travel. We have also stayed in various other regions of Mexico, some that have very tiny not so memorable names. I have never regretted Mexico and will return soon I hope. This was, however, a first for us.
Five Reasons to Visit Puerto Vallarta
1. Fresh and authentic Mexican food: Fresh everything. Fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, tacos, tostadas, fish, shellfish. We did the Puerto Vallarta food tour while we were in Puerto Vallarta and truthfully I had no idea the food would be so good. We sampled tequila (obviously not my daughter) and had real tacos, a taco made from beef cheek – I can’t describe how moist and tasty that was – it shocked me that I loved it. The coffee is delicious, the avocados are perfection, the white corn tortillas will convince you never to buy boxed supermarket kits again. The food was incredible.
2. It is safe. This is apparently one of the smaller Mexican tourist destinations. It is also a big destination for romantic vacations and LGBTQ tours. I walked around with a group, but at the same time, I have to say I felt less safe in Cancun. My daughter also commented on this. We have travelled several times to places where staff are armed with guns on the beach. This trip was not like that at all. Puerto Vallarta made me feel relaxed and safe at all times. We heard repeatedly that it was safe and it felt extremely safe to me.
3. Activity: Puerto Vallarta is not a spectator sport. It is hands on fun. There is so much to do. Canopy River Tours – zip lining and donkey rides, rappelling down a mountain and dropping into a river while also hiking. Flyboarding, golfing. Sea turtle conservation programs, whale watching during the right season. There is also a great water park called Dolphin Discovery.
|Payton ziplining. I could hardly watch.|
4. The price: Mexico is affordable and Puerto Vallarta has a lot to offer. See all the above reasons for what that looks like. The CasaMagna Marriott is a lovely option for families.
5. The friendliest city on earth. The people and the service make this Mexican port city memorable. We had spectacular service here and that was consistent with what I heard prior to going. I heard about families being welcomed with open arms and children being treated like princes and princesses. I was not disappointed. In fact, I found Puerto Vallarta to be the friendliest place we have visited yet.
Tourism PV is on social media here: http://www.twitter.com/PVvisit/
We were guests in Puerto Vallarta on a travel bloggers trip. Many thanks to Puerto Vallarta tourism for a great stay. My opinion is all my own.