I hate to tell you this. Maybe it’s just my kids. Maybe it’s just my house. But my littles used to eat amazingly well. They were rockstars at vegetables and dinner and lunch. I rarely worried. Then they hit double digits, ten and up, and they developed sudden fussiness. It’s infuriating! I make a great dinner and they say – “Um, could I please just make a peanut butter sandwich?” Or “Too spicy!” My one child exists on peanut butter and pizza. Not together of course.
Occasionally I stumble upon a recipe the kids love that keeps us all happy at dinner. This year I have also experimented with a few recipes that have been big hits here. When that happens I make enough to last for a couple of days. One thing my kids are getting better at is taking dinner for lunch. My husband has always been great about that. But both of my kids, who are school aged, now enjoy taking leftovers maybe once a week to school. That makes my job easier and it makes me feel good about sending them off with a packed lunch. They have access to a microwave in one of the rooms at school so they are able to warm meals packed in a thermos up. This week I wanted to make something new with Gay Lea Nordica cottage cheese. We have used Nordica cottage cheese in many recipes. I know my kids like it and it’s a good hit of protein hidden in their meal too.
[tweetthis]Nordica cottage cheese adds a good hit of protein to lunch or dinner #GayLeaMom[/tweetthis]
So I made something new…..
With noodles, a bit of butter to make sure things don’t stick and some cottage cheese and cheddar too. Then I added some turkey for good measure. I think you could swap it out for tuna if you really wanted. One of my daughters has fallen hard for a tuna casserole I make, so I figured this fresh turkey from the store without nitrates or preservatives (thank you, Sunripe) would be healthy, full of protein and tasty too.
Cottage cheese is way more versatile than I ever realized. I have seen many GayLea Moms make cottage cheese recipes that are spectacular and even smoothies with Nordica cottage cheese and that is astonishing to me. How clever! Also of course you can make desserts that rock with cottage cheese. But this recipe – Kid Approved Little Turkeys Penne with Cheese is good for both dinner and lunch. That’s a timesaver for me as a busy mom and for my kids, who are busy girls too.
[tweetthis]Cottage cheese is way more versatile than you realize #GayLeaMom[/tweetthis]
Little Turkeys Penne With Cheese and Leftovers for Lunch #GayleaMom
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of water
- 1 bag of penne noodles choose whole wheat for healthier option. We only had the regular pasta in stock
- one cup of shaved cooked turkey chopped or ripped into small bits. we bought some without any preservatives and nitrates at Sunripe in London You could substitute tuna if the kids like that too.
- one cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- one cup of water.
- one TBSP of Gay Lea butter
- One 500 ml container of Gay Lea Nordica cottage cheese
- Boil noodles and drain.
- Use the butter to grease a casserole dish so this baked dish doesn't stick.
- Beat 2 eggs together, add water.
- Put the noodles in the pan.
- Stir in the cottage cheese until the noodles are covered.
- Add the turkey.
- Mix in the egg mixture.
- Add the cheddar cheese.
- Mix all together. Cover with foil and place in the oven.
- I did not add any salt or pepper or seasoning because I am on low sodium diet and my kids like their food really not spicy.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- To serve shred a small amount of cheddar on top of the entire casserole dish. Scoop it out and it should come out in almost a neat little square because of the egg.
- As I noted my kids like theirs tame.
- But for the adults here's what I would do next time.
- (Add a drop or two of hot sauce right on top)
- Because you can scoop it out almost in a square like a piece of lasagne this will bundle up nicely for transportation in your kid's lunch.
Nordica cottage Cheese goes with all of your favourites, from fruit to pasta. It is low in fat and has many healthy benefits, including calcium,Vitamin D and protein. I love that they have a line that is lactose free.
[tweetthis]Nordica cottage cheese is low in fat. #GayLeaMom[/tweetthis]
Nordica Cottage Cheese is also:
• Gluten and nut free
• Certified Kosher
• Available in Fat Free, 1%, 2%, 4% and Lactose Free
• Available in On-the-Go containers in Plain 1%, Summer Berry & peach
[tweetthis]Nordica cottage cheese is available in Fat Free, 1%, 2%, 4% and Lactose Free #GayLeaMom[/tweetthis]
I also really love sending the small individually packaged single serving cottage cheese cups to school. They are healthy and delicious and my older daughter really loves them. The on the go sized cottage cheese containers in plain 1 % are a staple on my grocery list.
Single serves are perfect for Moms on the run. Grab a spoon and go.
This recipe is kid approved. My daughter thought up the name because she is funny and creative. Just like the game Nordi-cows. Nordi-Cows is an interactive game on Gay Lea’s Facebook page. To participate, visit the Gay Lea Facebook page to pick your favourite cow and milk her twice a day.
You can also sign up for the Gay Lea newsletter to receive special offers and recipes too. Sign up here: http://www.gaylea.com/news-views/newsletter
Gay Lea has a host of great products. Visit their web site to learn more.
You can see some of my other Gay Lea Foods recipes here:
I am a Gay Lea Mom working with Gay Lea and Influencer Central and as such I am compensated. My opinion is all my own.