These Oriental Gluten Free Beef Lettuce Wraps have been a long time coming to fruition. I have been thinking about lettuce wraps and gluten free wraps for quite some time. Finally I had the materials and the time and inclination to actually make them.
In fact these gluten free wraps are so easy and tasty too. Plus they don’t leave me feeling all bloated and sluggish as wraps with gluten do sometimes. Where possible, whenever possible, I enjoy making gluten free meals and snacks. My stomach simply seems to respond in a much nicer way.
In fact I am on again off again gluten free here. You know the story – I cut it out for a bit and then feel kind of bored with that and get overly confident and lapse back into eating gluten again. Never really super committed or completely 100 % GF but I was once for a long period of time in my 20s completely gluten free. That was a challenge. So my daily routine is more like limited gluten as opposed to gluten free.
I never reach for bread as a choice. It’s not my happy food or my comfort food. And I could go without it entirely if there was an alternative. So, I try to keep a repertoire of recipes so I am able to make gluten free when I need to.
Until recently I had never made gluten free Oriental Beef lettuce wraps. Oh, I have been wanting to make lettuce wraps for a long time now. For some reason I seemed to always be missing one or two of the ingredients necessary to make this recipe. So just last week when I was hunting around for dinner ideas on a busy Tuesday night I finally realized, after I almost settled for a boxed kit of taco shells, that I had all the things I needed to make easy tasty oriental beef lettuce wraps.
I rarely cook by taste because I don’t trust myself to do so, but I gave it a good old try and these Oriental Gluten Free Beef Lettuce Wraps turned out amazing! My kids loved them because they are fun and unique. Even my husband enjoyed them. But his only complaint was that on a night when he was going to martial arts lessons he felt like he needed to eat about 6 or 7 of these to have enough energy for a full workout. So maybe next time we will make more.
If you are a family that enjoys bigger meals then maybe double this recipe. My kids and I were fine and not overly full. I liked that these felt less heavy than traditional wraps.
- One pound of lean or extra lean ground beef
- 1 bag of Romaine Lettuce (in tact not chopped up)
- 1 tsp. Gluten free Rice vinegar ( there are several brands that have no gluten)
- 1 tsp low sodium gluten free soya sauce ( specific brands are gluten free )
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 chopped diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow pepper
- Wash the romain lettuce gently and pull the leaves apart. They need to be bigger leaves so the tiny ones close to the core will not work.
- Brown the ground beef and drain the fat away.
- Add teaspoon of rice vinegar and teaspoon of soya sauce and sautee.
- Chop tomato
- Chop one yellow pepper.
- Wait until beef cools a bit.
- Add the beef to each leaf wrap shell.
- Put 2-3 bowls of toppings on the table and let everyone decorate their own lettuce wrap.
- We chose cheese, tomato and yellow pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese on top, add tomato and pepper.
- Wrap the lettuce like a burrito and enjoy!
Beef and Lettuce Wraps with a hint of Asian Flavour
We all enjoyed these Gluten Free Oriental Beef Lettuce Wraps so much that we will make them part of the rotation. I like that I can make this healthy meal often and without breaking the budget.