Lemon is my all time favourite flavour. Lemon cakes, lemon pies, lemony drinks. I am an equal opportunity lemon lover. Lemon candy, lemon tarts. Now I am making myself hungry. I am also a bit of a cookie monster. If you are at all like me and you love lemon as much as you love cookies then you will adore these Lemon cookies with buttercream icing.
Lemon cookies are refreshing and perfect for a treat in the spring or summer months. I would eat these all year round actually but then I’d be mad at myself so these will have to be a special treat.
Lemon Cookies With Buttercream Icing
If you know me at all then you know how much I adore lemon stuff. Lemon cookies with buttercream icing are pretty much the pick of the crop. Lemon cookies are amazing any time and this icing is to die for.
- Spring Lemon Cookies with Buttercream Icing
- 1 stick butter
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 0.5 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 tbps lemon juice
- Zest of two lemons
- Buttercream icing:
- 4 cups Icing sugar
- ½ cup Butter
- ⅓ cup Shortening
- 2 tbspoons of water
- one teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Making sure your butter is at room temperature, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and keep on mixing until smooth. Add vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine flour, powder, salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into butter-sugar mixture and fold. Add your lemon juice and half of your lemon rind.
- Roll cookie dough into balls and place on lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Makes 3 dozen
- For the icing:
- Fold icing sugar into butter and add shortening too.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the water and vanilla.
- Blend and set aside until cookies cool.
- Put a generous amount on each cookie and then sprinkle with lemon zest for decoration OR use lemon sprinkles.
What’s your favourite lemon dessert?