Remember high school? Well, I do. Let’s just say I recall eating extremely poorly in high school. I was too TEENAGER to pack a lunch of any substance at all really so I would pop over to a variety store and grab something fast. Bad..teenager…boy.. I know it. So now that I am the proud owner of a teenager, I am experiencing many small flashback moments. That first day of high school for her was like deja vu for me. And then there’s the lunch stuff. I am very very fortunate my kids are decent at packing their lunches. Oh there have been some small issues over the years. Like that time one tried to slip out the door with a bag of chocolate chips and a can of ginger ale but mostly they choose well. So, it’s my job to make sure they have lots to choose from. This week we made Kid Approved Mini Broccoli Cheese Quiches for them to pack for lunch because they are yummy and easily transportable. (I add an ice pack and remind them to eat them promptly and don’t leave them sitting.) Also occasionally they can be heated up in a resource room at one’s school so YUM!
If you hang around here often enough then you know I am a fan of cheese. The more cheese the better. I often add cheese because it is a crowd-pleaser when you have kids. This year before the school pizza lunches and the hot lunch starts up I thought the kids could help me plan out a couple of fun new lunch ideas we might make to pack for school.
[tweetthis]What is your back to school lunch time challenge? #GayLeaMom[/tweetthis]
This is what we came up with: My kids love wraps. They will take them often and whenever I have the ingredients on hand. So those are in constant rotation. My kids also enjoy cheese and quiche, because it’s so easy to make. They can bake quiches on their own with minimal supervision. So we made some mini broccoli cheese quiches last week. Those are now another fan favourite here.
Gay Lea’s Ivanhoe Cheese:
– Ivanhoe has gained an enviable reputation for its high quality, aged cheddar cheese and specialty cheeses.
– As the oldest cheese company of its kind in Canada, it still remains a local attraction in the hamlet of Ivanhoe!
– They produce award-winning artisan cheddars, as well as an extensive selection of specialty cheeses including Naturally Smoked Gouda and flavoured Monterey Jacks. They even offer Kosher and Halal varieties.
Gay Lea’s Salerno Cheese:
– Since 1962 (founded in Hamilton!), Salerno Dairy has specialized inlocally made, fine Italian cheeses.
– From mozzarella, mascarpone, and bocconcini to pecorino, Salerno delivers a special mix of cheeses that blends perfectly with the farmer-owned co-operative at Gay Lea.
– Salerno Dairy Products has become synonymous with creating high quality, traditional Italian cheeses.
We started with Ivanhoe Extra old Vintage white cheddar because that’s what I had on hand and I love the flavour. It’s good cheese with an edge. But, because of the colour and the fact that although that Ivanhoe extra old vintage white cheddar is scrumptious, it lacks a bright shade, I needed some colour too. We also added Old sharp cheddar after they came out of the oven. This is the first time I added cream cheese as well to the recipe. I think it gave a bit more substance to the recipe. See recipe below.
Easy Kid Approved Lunch Time Broccoli Cheese Mini Quiches #GayLeaMom
- 1/2 cup aged old vintage sharp cheddar shredded white
- 1 package of mini tart shells
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 teaspoon of cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of cooked broccoli
- 1/4 cup of old cheddar yellow shredded
- Heat oven to 350 and warm up the shells according to instructions.
- Usually about 10 minutes at 350.
- Let them cool a bit
- Stir into a bowl, the eggs and the cream cheese.
- Blend with a blender.
- Add the mayonnaise and spoonful of water.
- Blend for about 1 minute with a hand mixer.
- Cook the broccoli. Chop small. Boil it and then drain it.
- Blend it into the egg mix. Use a mixer if you want it crushed up fine. Ours was a bit course.
- Put a bit of both cheddars into the shells. Hold some of the darker shade cheese back for the end.
- Pour egg and broccoli mixture over the top.
- Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. Keep a close eye on the oven.
- Remove from oven and let stand a minute.
- Top with shredded cheddar of a different colour - I chose Ivanhoe old sharp cheddar.
The Ivanhoe and Salerno cheeses can be a bit more expensive than the other name brands. There are many times this is worth the cost though. The Extra Old and the many other flavourful varieties are really tasty and great for parties too. Don’t forget to check the Gay Lea website http://www.gaylea.com/, which includes great recipes. You might also consider signing up for the Gay Lea newsletter here: for recipes, coupons, contests and tips too.
And by the way let me introduce you to my new favourite food in the world. Gay Lea has a new product called Nordica Smooth. There are two flavours: salted caramel and vanilla bean. I have tried the salted caramel and have also been crowing about it over on Instagram. It’s so good. Really, I love the regular small cottage cheese cups because I can let the kids and my husband take them in their lunches. But this one is mine. I mistakenly let my teen try this and we are both crazy fans of it now. Smooth cottage cheese. Gay Lea Nordica Smooth Salted caramel flavour tastes like dessert without the guilt. It contains 10 grams of protein and 100 calories. That’s my kind of dessert!! I had no idea I would love smooth cottage cheese as much as I do. I am stalking my local Sobey’s store which keeps running out of this new product. I blame myself for talking it up to anyone who listens. Send more, please!
You could slip some into your smoothies, shakes, cakes and muffins for a guilt-free enhancement to a recipe. Nordica Smooth comes in 100g cups, making it a convenient, light snack to enjoy anytime day or night. With 25% more protein than leading Greek yogurts and a source of calcium, it is the sweeter way to replenish your body after a workout. This new product is available in Ontario only at most major grocery stores, except No Frills and Walmart.
I am a Gay Lea Mom working on behalf of Influence Central and as such I am compensated. My opinion is all my own.