It’s the end of Shark Week, but you don’t have to cry. Here’s a little something for you to prolong the Shark love. These Shark cupcakes will make my kids ecstatic.
Table of Contents
A Fun Treat with a Bite
These Shark cupcakes are a fun treat and honestly the hardest part is the fin. If you master that, then these are easy peasy. These treats will make my kids ecstatic when they get home from day camp or even if they are just hanging out around the pool. They are totally fierce.
My youngest daughter is shark obsessed. She does her projects on sharks and watches shark documentaries while reading shark books. Which is all to say that she really loves sharks. Posters, books, movies, toys, figurines.
So shark cupcakes seemed like a brilliant way to keep her interested. Can you just imagine these at a pool party or a beach event? Maybe even a kid’s birthday…Yes please! Totally adorable.
How to Make These Sweet Cupcakes
[tweetthis]Step by step directions for how to make shark cupcakes. [/tweetthis]
Go ahead and tell the truth now…is Shark Week your guilty pleasure? I won’t judge. We all have those fun, quirky mindless escape entertainment shows that we enjoy.
- mixing bowls
- hand mixer
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Beat butter on high for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract to the butter …. beating until well combined.
- Add egg whites, and then eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, beating on low speed until everything is mixed together.
- Add ⅓ C flour mixture to the wet mixture followed by adding ⅓ C of the buttermilk
- Add ⅓ C flour mixture again then add ⅓ C buttermilk mix on low speed
- Add 1/3 C of flour and add the rest of 1/3 C of buttermilk mix in low speed until thoroughly blended.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the cupcake tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the cupcake tin and completely cool on a wire rack.
- Frosting Ingredients: Cup of soft unsalted butter + Cup of powder sugar, 1 TBSP heavy whipping cream, Blue gel food coloring.
- Cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy. If it doesn't cream, add several drops of the heavy whipping cream.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak. If not, then add more powdered sugar 1/2 Cup at a time. Test to make sure that the frosting can make and hold a stiff peak.
- Divide the frosting into half….. 1st bowl remains white….2nd bowl, add several drops of blue gel food coloring… stir to mix well.
- Scoop the white frosting into a pastry bag with a large frosting tip….Scoop the blue frosting into the same pastry bag….. twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip. You may want to test this out to make sure that the frosting comes out with both the blue and white frosting at the same time.
- Frost the cupcakes by starting at the outer edge of the cupcake in a circle until you reach the center of the cupcake.
Royal Icing Ingredients for Shark Fin
- 2 egg whites, 1 C powder sugar, 2 tsp cream of tartar, grey or silver gel food coloring
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- Spoon the icing into a bowl.
- Add several drops of the grey/silver gel food coloring in the large bowl of icing
- Stir well to mix the color.
- Locate a picture of a Sharks Tail on Google… print the picture in color. Tape this picture with small numerous images of it on it to a cookie sheet.
- Tape wax paper (covering the copies of the sharks tail ) to the cookie sheet . Follow the color and features as printed on the paper.
- Using a small pastry bag fill with the Grey royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining the image first….
- Fill in the image with the royal icing…-Allow to dry for 5-10 hours.
- Ensure that the sharks tail is dry, gently touch one of them with your finger if it allows you to push in on the icing allow it to dry more.
- If the shark's tail is dry then it will have a hard feeling not allowing you to push in on it.
- Cut the wax paper holding the completed shark tails into squares surrounding the completed design.
- If the image is dry peel them off the wax paper and place on the center of the frosted cupcake.
Don’t miss these adorable Teddy Bear Cupcakes too.
What’s not to love about cupcakes?
Here are the items I recommend to help make these:
May contain affiliate links as a service to readers. I receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Happy Baking! Oh and don’t forget to come back and leave me a comment if you make these cute shark cupcakes!