These Traditional Peppermint Hot Cocoa Cookies combine some really great and comforting flavours. There’s nothing better than the taste of peppermint during the holidays. It’s one of those tastes you either love or hate, I think. My kids for the longest time would say it’s too spicy, or too hot if I ever gave them peppermint. To this day only one has warmed to the notion of minty tastes and foods and baked goods.
Did you know that peppermint actually dates back to the Egyptians? It’s true. In fact, peppermint was found dried in Egyptian pyramids as early as 1000 BC. Peppermint was then brought here and grows wild. There are many medicinal uses for peppermint. Some are as simple as gas relief, and peppermint has been shown to help with colic as well. And, it also increases alertness. The smell of peppermint oil can help you focus and wake up.
Traditional Hot Cocoa Peppermint Cookies
- Hot cocoa peppermint cookies
- 1 c unsalted sweet cream butter melted
- 2 c dark brown sugar
- 1 c white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 c flour
- 1/2 C cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 bag of chocolate chips
- 1/2 of small bag of mini marshmallows
- 6 crushed candy canes
- Melt the butter and set aside.
- mix in the sugars and stir until dissolved
- mix in the eggs, one at a time until fully mixed in
- mix in the vanilla
- stir in the flour, baking powder and baking soda
- mix in the chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, and crushed candy canes
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- take a small ice cream scoop and scoop some batter onto the baking sheet
- bake for 8-10 minutes
Hot Cocoa Peppermint Cookies
For me, these Peppermint Hot Cocoa Cookies are comforting, combining just the right blend of tasty cocoa with mint. I love this flavour combination and I think you will too. Plus, any recipe where you can use crushed candy canes is a keeper! Crushed candy cane bark is another way to use up those leftover candy canes. By the way if you have kids, you might like this Candy Cane Colouring Page Printable too.
Fresh from the oven, these Peppermint Hot Cocoa Cookies are very festive. Enjoy with family and maybe even with hot cocoa too. Happy Holidays!