These whimsical Elf Inspired cupcakes are easy cupcakes for kids to make and decorate. They will remind everyone of the joy of being a kid. The best part – you really only need to bake the cupcakes and set them on the table with a bunch of toppings in a bowl and company, or kids, can do the rest of the work.
What’s your favourite Christmas movie? One of mine is Elf. I am a sucker for movies with Will Ferrell. Yes, I know he’s a big goofball and it’s not highbrow humour by any stretch at all. BUT it’s funny, like fall on the ground laughing comedy at moments. That’s why I love these kid’s cupcakes.
What’s Your Favourite Elf Movie Scene?
So if you have seen the Elf movie, what’s one standout scene? For me, it’s the spaghetti scene. You know when Buddy The Elf dumps all the candy on his spaghetti. That makes me laugh out loud because it is ridiculous. These Elf Inspired Cupcakes evoke that scene and that fun, childish, spirit that permeates the entire movie.
Son of a Nutcracker! Memorable lines from this movie are not hard to find at all. “You sit on a throne of lies.” My daughters often use that one when being silly or commenting on someone who is being deceptive. Actually they say it so much it is comical and yet I had almost forgotten it came from this movie.
There are a lot of cute scenes too with the adorable costar and romantic love interest Zooey Deschanel. And she’s another reason I love this movie. She is just plain adorable and quirky. So in honour of how much I love this movie here is my Elf movie inspired cupcakes recipe. These are sweet and easy cupcakes for kids to make or at least help decorate.
Elf Inspired Cupcakes
These colourful and sweet Elf inspired easy cupcakes for kids to make are perfect for a movie night or a wrapping party. Perfect too for a class Christmas bake sale or party.
In fact, these cupcakes have kids written all over them! They are meant to be hands on and fun, not perfect and Instagrammable. Just silly and sweet, like the movie.
Get the Kids Involved Decorating
So, bake these cupcakes up then set aside and let cool. Have all the toppings set aside in bowls and on the table for kids to use when decorating. Then let them each decorate one how they want to. It’s a fun way to get them interested in helping with the treats they serve for a party or the treats they share with family.
Something like this can also work well Christmas Eve when family is gathered and kids are looking for things to do. Placing all of the decorating materials on a kitchen or dining room table then allowing them to personalize their cupcakes can make for happy sugarplum dreams later that night.
Elf Inspired Cupcakes
- 1 box of french vanilla cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C 1 stick of softened unsalted sweet cream butter
- One cup of whole milk
- Single tsp vanilla extract
- Container of Christmas sprinkles
- Small bag of red and green M&M's
- 2 C of mini marshmallows
- Festive cupcake liners
- Your cupcake pan
- Frosting Ingredients
- One Cup unsalted butter
- A Cup of powder sugar
- 5 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Teaspoon of Vanilla bean paste
- Disposable piping bag
- number 3 piping tip
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake pan with the liners
- Using a hand mixer, beat together the cake mix, butter, milk, and vanilla and mix until combined
- Take a medium ice cream scoop and, scoop the batter into the cupcake liners and fill about 3/4 of the way full
- Bake in the oven for about 21 minutes
- Pull cupcakes out and place on the side to cool
- Frosting Directions
- In a standing mixer, combine the butter, powder sugar, vanilla, and the heavy whipping cream.
- Mix on medium speed until stiff and creamy.
- If you still see powdery pebbles, add in 2 more tbsp heavy whipping cream.
- Continue to mix until stiff and creamy
- Scoop frosting into the piping bag fitting with the number 3 tip
- Using your tip with the frosting, pipe squiggles all over the top of the cupcake
- Sprinkle the Christmas sprinkles and M&M's all over the top
- Top with 4 mini marshmallows
You May Also Want to See These:
If you are still looking for more baking ideas check these recipes out too:
Or check out the roundup of Christmas tree treats first published here in 2017.
Are you in in a Meal Rut?
Stuck on meals this season or wanting to get started with meal planning in January? Here’s a great way to begin – 31 Days of Sheet Pan Dinners.
Healthy snack options on your mind?
These easy to make Kale Chips are my favourites right now.
Merry Christmas and don’t forget to return if you make any of these recipes. Let me know how they trend out please.