Kid Approved Cranberry Granola Squares
Earlier this year I was in the mood to experiment with granola recipes. Typically, the bulk food store near my house gets a lot of activity from my family. The range of foods there inspires me to bake and be creative in the kitchen. The kids love granola and they also love to help bake. Sometimes I take them with me to the bulk food store and I tell them they can pick one treat. Often one daughter picks a dry granola kind of mix with some Smarties or something chocolate thrown in for a pinch of sweet. I decided that we would make our own granola squares one day recently and we ended up with these tasty kid approved granola squares.
[tweetthis]Peanut butter and granola combine to make some yummy snacks for all ages.[/tweetthis]
Kid Approved Granola Squares
- 2 cups of granola
- 1 cup of dehydrated dried cranberries
- 1 bag of coloured mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup of peanut butter
- On top of stove combine the bag of marshmallows and peanut butter and warm up for less than five minutes on low temperature. You don't want the marshmallows all to melt. You just need them pliable and a bit sticky. You want the colour still to show through in the squares.
- Remove sticky mixture from the heat and add all the granola in while stirring.
- Add cranberries.
- Scoop into a rectangular baking pan and pat down then let cool.
- Cut into squares.
The cranberries add a nice little hit of flavour to many recipes. Here they balance out the crunchy granola texture with a bit of a chewy fruit taste. The granola mixture we chose had some pumpkin seeds in it and was something the kids chose on their own. My kids are luckily not allergic to peanut butter, so I like to add a bit of peanut butter to some recipes to give them a familiar taste and I like the energy and protein provided by peanut butter.
What’s your favourite recipe to cook with kids?
Pam @ The Birch Cottage
I love the addition of the cranberries in the granola! Thanks for sharing this recipe on The Living with Style Linky Party!
Alli @ tornadough alli
These look so good. Having 4 kids myself I love finding healthy snacks that I can make at home! I would love if you could share at tonight’s Throw Back Thursday Link Party!
Loving the addition of granola in these squares! I hope you can stop on by and share this or any other recipe with us on Five Friday Finds! 🙂
Looks so yummy. And pretty easy too. Glad to have you at the #homemattersparty this weekend.