Buttermilk biscuits are smooth and so delicious. No holiday meal is complete without these in my opinion.
Nothing reminds me of home cooked meals more than Buttermilk Biscuits. My Mom used to make them at holiday time almost every single Christmas. She was a massive bread and biscuit lover. English pudding was her other favourite recipe. I can’t recall a gathering without some kind of scrumptious buns or biscuits actually.
This buttermilk biscuits recipe is similar to one she used to make at holiday time every year. Buttermilk makes everything tastier and creamier and melt in your mouth delicious. While you can sometimes snack on these alone you probably shouldn’t do too much of that. These buttermilk biscuits are meant to be part of your dinner meal.
This Buttermilk Biscuits recipe makes about 1 dozen biscuits and it is pure comfort food. Serve them on their own as a treat or serve them with a really great family meal. I am picturing meat and potatoes with gravy and a side of buttermilk biscuits. Or you can serve them before the meal if you wish. Enjoy!
Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
- 4 C flour self rising
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 3/4 C shortening
- 2 C buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- -Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- -Sift four, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- -Make sure all dry ingredients are well blended in a bowl.
- -Add the shortening to the dry ingredients.
- -Using your fingers work the shortening thoroughly into the dry ingredients.
- -Pour the buttermilk into the bowl, stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- -Flour a wooden cutting board.
- -Roll out the biscuit batter onto the floured board.
- -Using a roller pin...roll out the batter to a consistent thickness.
- -Using a round cookie cutter, cut out the biscuits.
- -Place them on the cookie sheet leaving space between the biscuits.
- -Bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes or a light golden brown.
- -Cool on a wire rack or EAT them hot.
Are you a biscuit loving kind of person? Do you enjoy all the breads and biscuits during the holidays or do you find them sometimes a bit of an afterthought? I won’t judge I promise. Add these to your holiday meal though and I am certain you will get compliments.