Broccoli cheddar soup is one that I know many people love. Soups at this time of year are perfect for many reasons. They are easy to cook and sometimes easy to share. Cook them in a big batch and save some broccoli cheddar soup for later too.
Serve this beauty in a bread bowl and it is really a scrumptious and healthy meal. Perfect for one of those chilly Fall, or Winter Days. I love soups in the cooler months because it seems like I am always cold then. Broccoli Cheddar soup is comforting and it warms everyone up. (Even me).
OH SO Good Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1/4 C flour
- 2 C heavy cream
- 3 C chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 7 - inch sourdough bread boules round loaves
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli
- 1 C of matchstick cut carrots
- 2 1/2 C grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour cooking until the color becomes golden, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of heavy cream if necessary to keep the flour from burning, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Slowly pour the heavy cream into flour mixture while whisking constantly. Stir chicken stock into the heavy cream mixture. Bring this to a simmer;continuing to cook until the mixture has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add carrots; simmer until they are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the frozen broccoli and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir Cheddar cheese into vegetable mixture until cheese melts.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bread bowls:
- Using a sharp knife, cut a circle into the top of each loaf, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Remove the bread top, then hollow out the middle with a fork or your fingers, leaving a thick bread shell.
- Scoop soup into each bread bowl. Serve as is or top with additional grated cheese.
What is your favourite soup this time of year?
Broccoli Cheddar Soup has me craving a ski date with my family. I can’t think of anything more perfect as an after ski lunch or dinner food. Ideal after skiing or snowboarding all day.
What’s your favourite soup?